We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Radish has been known since ancient times. It is believed that this vegetable culture came to us from the Mediterranean, and was known in China several thousand years ago.
In Europe, radish appeared even earlier than potatoes. Currently, there is a variety of radish varieties, but the hybrid variety Diego is considered to be one of the most popular.
Further in the article you will find a detailed description of this variety and the secrets of its cultivation.
Detailed characteristics and description
Diego is a Dutch hybrid early maturing variety. A very highly productive hybrid of radish. Suitable for growing both outdoors and in greenhouses. It has rather large roots up to 5 cm in diameter, weighing 40-70g (and for more details about the description of the sweetest and largest varieties of giant radish, read here). The fruits are very juicy, without a bitter aftertaste, with a crispy white pulp. The dark red color of the fruit is not afraid of mechanical washing and does not change color under water. The dark green tops are great for tufting.
Diego radishes are sown from the beginning of April... The seeds are quite cold-resistant, they can germinate already at 3-4 degrees, but the optimal temperature is 16-18 degrees.
It takes 20-30 days to ripen. The variety is very unpretentious in cultivation, resistant to downy mildew, to flowering, to a number of other diseases. It is considered to be quite productive.
reference! Up to 4.5 kg of product is collected from 1 square meter, i.e. from 1 hectare 40-45 tons.
This radish variety is resistant to cracking and hollowness.
Diego variety is suitable for year-round cultivation, but picky about soil fertility. Loose, fertile, sandy loam, easily accessible soils are preferred. If the soil is poor, heavy and acidic, there will be no good harvest.
Diego variety is very picky about light, in the shade goes into the arrow, gives long tops, and the root crop does not ripen to the desired size.
The same happens when the planting is shaded and in the presence of weeds. This vegetable crop is considered a long day plant. With a daylight of more than 14 hours, the radish blooms quickly.
Radish - everyone's favorite vegetable, irreplaceable on the spring table.
It is considered that culture from Europe was brought by Peter I, at the end of the 18th century, the vegetable was recognized in Russia, but radish gained wide popularity and applicability later.
Currently, there are 197 radish names in the Russian register of breeding achievements, of which 34 are hybrids. Most of this is the merit of foreign selection agricultural companies. At the moment, the largest open field area is occupied by the Diego variety.
This variety was bred by Dutch breeders who took care of creating an early maturing and at the same time very high-performance hybrid, with excellent taste and ease of care, as well as a beautiful presentation and good transportability.
Important! This variety has long been tested by farmers and has gained great popularity.
What is the difference from other varieties?
Diego variety is very favorably different from other varieties of radish, first of all by the fact that:
- provides rapid growth, and most importantly, uniformity of ripening of root crops in 20-30 days;
- grows well and bears fruit both indoors and outdoors;
- does not require additional lighting;
- resistant to shooting, well resistant to diseases and pests;
- excellent commercial qualities, excellent transportability;
- does not have a bitter taste.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like any radish variety, Diego has a number of advantages and disadvantages.
- unpretentious in cultivation;
- early maturing;
- contains many vitamins and nutrients (including mustard oil, natural antioxidants);
- keeps its presentation for a long time;
- forms a crispy white core without voids and water rings;
- has good uniformity during harvest;
- has improved properties of early maturity and productivity;
- high ability to adapt to adverse natural conditions;
- high genetic resistance to diseases and pests.
Disadvantages: More expensive than varietal radish seeds.
For what and where is it used?
First of all, because of its exceptional qualities, the Diego variety is a storehouse of vitamins and nutrients. The first vegetable crop appears on the table in the spring. Housewives are happy to use it for cooking:
- cold soups;
- as vegetable cuts.
The first spring radish on the table is considered a delicacy.
The variety is considered very useful thanks to the content of natural antioxidants and folic acid.
The tops are used in the preparation of salads and first courses.
Soaking the seeds before sowing is not required. Radish sowing starts early in April, the seeds germinate already at 3-4 degrees and withstand spring frosts. And after 20-30 days, the first fruits already appear. Recommended planting scheme: 7 x 7 cm, seeding depth 2-3 cm. Seeding rate 1.5 - 2 g per 1 sq. M. After 4-8 days, the first shoots appear. Early crops are watered with warm water, no more than twice a week. Otherwise, the plant can get sick with a "black leg".
Lack of moisture is also fraught and can lead to the premature appearance of arrows, the fruits can lose their juiciness and crunchiness, become tough, especially in hot weather.
Attention! Sprinklers are preferred for irrigation; direct pressure from a hose is undesirable.
It is better to feed the radish before the fruit is formed, the presence of phosphorus in the fertilizer is very important.
Harvesting and storage
Radish is harvested, as a rule, selectively, in 2-3 terms. Root crops must reach marketable size. After harvesting, the radishes are tied in bunches. Do not store radishes in a warm room, as there is a risk of moisture loss for root crops. It is recommended to store radishes in the refrigerator at 2-3 degrees, after cutting off the leaves, rinsing and drying the roots. Under these conditions, radishes can be stored for up to 190 days.
Diseases and pests
Due to its endurance and resistance to unfavorable natural factors and to diseases such as downy mildew, rhizoctoniae, flowering and root rot, Diego variety is suitable for all-season cultivation.
But the cruciferous flea is considered the main enemy of this vegetable crop. It is dangerous because in the early stages of sowing it can destroy almost all plants, eating up the shoots that have appeared on the seedlings. It is especially active in hot dry weather. It is recommended to deal with such a pest as follows:
- before loosening, sprinkle mustard or ground pepper between the rows (1 tsp per 1 sq.m.);
- cover the plants with non-woven material.
Ash can also be used for these purposes.
Prevention of various problems
For gardeners and farmers, the question of how to properly grow radishes and preserve all of its best qualities, provided by breeders, is very important. How to prevent possible troubles?
- Bitter radish taste: appears during a prolonged growing season, i.e. you need to harvest on time, to prevent the overgrowth of root crops.
- Bursting root vegetables: Fruit cracking is the result of irregular and uneven watering.
- Tough and fibrous root vegetable: Radishes should grow quickly with adequate moisture and cool temperatures. Hot weather and high temperatures are undesirable for this vegetable crop.
- Incorrect root formation: hot weather causes tops to grow.
Similar varieties of radish
Diego is an early-maturing hybrid and high-yielding radish variety. For similar qualities, including the shape and taste of root vegetables, the following varieties are worth noting:
- Dabel - super early. The root vegetables are round, like Diego's. Cold resistant.
- Champion - an early ripe variety, both for unprotected soil and for greenhouse cultivation. Root crops of an even shape of dark scarlet color, juicy white flesh.
- 16 days - ultra early ripening variety for open ground and greenhouses. Ball-shaped roots, dark red, white, crunchy core. The yield is slightly lower than that of Diego.
- Heat - early ripening variety, the fruits are red, round, weighing up to 30 g, which is slightly less than that of Diego.
- Sora - also a precocious, early variety. Root crops are large, up to 5 cm in diameter, like the Diego variety, with a slightly spicy taste.
- Parat - is considered one of the best varieties with spherical fruits, weighing about 30 grams.
The Diego radish variety is one of the best hybrid varieties of this vegetable crop, which not only surpasses its counterparts in productivity, but is also very unpretentious to grow and exceptional in taste. Diego has earned the attention of farmers due to the possibility of early harvesting, which allows harvesting in 2-3 times. But all this becomes possible only due to the observance of all agrotechnical rules and recommendations.