We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dill is a popular spice culture used in cooking, salad dressing and canning. A fresh plant contains many useful substances, so you want to have fragrant greens on the table not only in summer, but all year round.
Many summer residents grow dill in greenhouses. How to plant dill correctly and about the features of its cultivation in a greenhouse is described in the article.
Can you plant?
Growing dill in a greenhouse is possible almost all year round., during this time, several crops are harvested. Dill is an unpretentious crop, in difficult climatic conditions it is possible to cut the first fragrant greens at the beginning of March.
What are the best varieties?
The yield of dill depends on the correctly selected variety. For cultivation in a greenhouse, varieties are chosen that are resistant to cold and lack of light. Bush species that give a lot of green mass are suitable.
Domestic varieties capable of producing a large amount of greenery include:
When can you plant?
Dill is planted at a stable temperature inside the greenhouse of +15 degrees, the ground must be unfrozen. You can plant dill in boxes installed inside the greenhouse and filled with soil.
A large selection of polycarbonate greenhouses on a metal body is on sale. But it has been proven that plants are more comfortable to grow in greenhouses made of wood. In this case, a special frost-resistant film is fixed on the wooden frame of the greenhouse. You can use a reinforced film that lasts 3 to 4 years.
To heat the greenhouse, pipes are laid around the perimeter, into which hot water is supplied. A solar collector made of stones is also used for heating.... During the day, stones accumulate heat, and at night they gradually release it.
How to plant?
Dill is an unpretentious plant, but you need to have the necessary skills to get a good harvest. There are two ways to plant dill in a greenhouse:
- For the best germination of dill seeds, preliminary preparation is necessary. The seeds are soaked in hot water for two to three days, the water is periodically changed to keep it hot. This procedure is necessary in order to remove the essential oils that cover the shell of the dill seeds, which contributes to their rapid germination.
- Then the seeds are germinated, placed on a thin cloth or gauze, covered with a damp cloth on top and left for 4 - 5 days in a warm place or windowsill, where the sun's rays fall. In a warm, humid environment, seeds swell and germinate quickly.
- Sprouted seeds are planted in boxes or in the soil of the greenhouse.
- The earth is well moistened, loosened and grooves are made every 15 - 20 centimeters and a depth of 3 - 4 centimeters, then fertilizer is applied to them per square meter of soil:
- potassium salt - 20 grams;
- superphosphate - 25 grams;
- urea - 20 grams.
- Sprouted dill seeds are poured into the grooves, sprinkled with a thin layer of soil, carefully moisten the ground from the top from the sprayer.
- For the next two weeks, the soil is moistened daily until the first shoots appear.
- When the plant grows to 10 centimeters in height, the planting is thinned out. They pull out strong plants, replanting them to a new place or using them for their intended purpose. The remaining poorly developed shoots begin to develop fully.
- To get an earlier harvest of greens, ready-made dill seedlings are planted in the greenhouse. For its cultivation, the germinated seeds are planted one by one in cells with soil with a volume of about 50 milliliters to a depth of two centimeters, watered and placed in a warm place.
- After the emergence of seedlings, the plants are left in the cells for another two weeks, then the grown seedlings are planted in a greenhouse.
- It is necessary to transplant dill from the cells carefully so as not to damage the root system of the plant.
- Dill bushes are planted at a distance of 25 - 30 centimeters from each other.
You can find more information about growing dill seedlings here.
Which method is better and why?
When planting seedlings, the bushes are planted at such a distance that is needed for the full development of the plant, there is no need to thin out the seedlings.
Another advantage of the greenhouse method of growing dill through seedlings is a quick harvest.
To get a good harvest of greens, you need proper care for dill plantings.:
- Dill grows well on fertile soils with neutral acidity. To increase soil fertility in the fall or in between plantings in the soil of the greenhouse, introducing humus or peat at the rate of 2 - 3 kilograms per square meter of land.
- For normal growth of dill in the greenhouse, the temperature is maintained at 15 - 18 degrees.
- Ventilation is periodically carried out, avoiding drafts and lowering the temperature.
- Water the plants with warm water from a sprayer once every 5 - 7 days, preventing the soil from drying out or excessive moisture.
- It is necessary to regularly loosen the soil and weed weeds. This gives oxygen access to the roots of the plant, which promotes the growth and development of dill.
- When growing dill in a greenhouse, it is fed twice a month with ammonium nitrate or peat, which is distributed at the base of the bushes.
- Since a light-loving plant lacks light in winter and autumn, in order to grow it, it is necessary to install additional lighting in the greenhouse, extending the daylight hours for planting. In late February - early March, when daylight hours are lengthening, additional lighting is removed.
How fast it grows and comparison with the growth rate in the open field
With proper care, the first crop of dill planted in a greenhouse is obtained two months after planting... Plants do not like a sharp change in climate, therefore, a stable temperature and humidity created in a greenhouse contribute to better growth and development of crops in greenhouse conditions than in open ground.
To have fragrant fresh dill on the table all year round, you need to purchase a greenhouse and use the advice of the article. Even a novice inexperienced gardener is not difficult to do this.