We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
For various reasons, a houseplant can lose its root system. For him, this will mean a rather quick death, therefore, if a problem is found, it is necessary to urgently start growing roots.
The reasons for the death of the root system of a flower are considered, as well as methods of resuscitation of an orchid without roots with withering leaves.
Why can a flower be left without a root system?
To monitor the growth of the orchid and its condition, experts recommend growing these flowers in transparent containers. So you can see its roots, which should be light green in a normal, moist state:
- If their color becomes pale green or white, and the leaves begin to fade, then the plant needs watering.
- If the soil is incorrectly selected, or the pot is too large when transplanting, then diseases of the root system may occur.
- Particles of earth in the soil can also be the reason - they cause stagnation of water and prevent the flow of oxygen, which leads to the death of the roots.
There are other reasons for the death of the root system:
- High humidity, poor lighting. The orchid has an unusual root structure. Flowers do not have root hairs, through which plants usually receive moisture. The root of the orchid is covered with hollow cells that absorb moisture through the capillaries and then transfer it to the next layer until it reaches the center of the root, from where it will move upward - to the flowers.
The rate of moisture absorption is directly dependent on the level of illumination. The brighter, the more moisture the plant consumes.
- Soil compaction. Over time, the substrate changes its properties, begins to thicken strongly, or crumbles into small pieces. As a result, the supply of nutrients to the plant is disrupted. To prevent this, it is necessary to monitor the condition of the soil and change it if necessary.
- Burning the roots with top dressing. Orchids are too sensitive to phosphorus and potassium salts. With a high concentration of these components in fertilizers, the roots of the flower can get burned, after which their functioning is disrupted. To save the plant, only transplanting into new soil is allowed.
- Incorrect transplant. During the transplantation of the plant, there is a risk of damaging the root system, after which a focus of rot may appear in this place. If this is not noticed in time, then the disease can spread to the entire plant, leading to its death.
- Pest attack. If there are problems with the root system, then this may be due to the appearance of click beetles, which have deposited the larvae in the substrate. They feed on root processes, as a result of which the plant ceases to receive the required amount of water. The main symptom is withering leaves.
It is necessary to immediately rinse the roots and change the soil. 10 days after the resuscitation of the flower, it is forbidden to water it. At this time, all the larvae will die, since they cannot stand drought.
- Fungus. As a result of the defeat of the fungus, the root system begins to rot. Only the removal of dead parts and treatment with special means helps.
The consequences of the death of the root system of the orchid are quite obvious - the gradual wilting and death of the flower. A plant cannot exist without these important nutritional organs. If you suspect that the roots are dying off, it is necessary to examine them and identify the degree of damage. You can understand that there are problems by the following signs:
- color change;
- slimy and wet areas, from which water flows out when pressed;
- the presence of collapsed areas.
How to reanimate at home?
The following is a detailed description of what to do if the flower has no roots.
Depending on the method of resuscitation of a sluggish plant without roots at home, the required set of tools will be slightly different, but the main items that are needed:
- scissors or pruning shears pretreated with alcohol or other antimicrobial agents;
- a vessel where the plant will be temporarily placed;
- activated or charcoal, for processing sections;
- clean, well-filtered, or boiled water.
Removing from the pot and trimming the roots
- To inspect the root system, you need to remove the plant from the pot and clean the root system of the substrate.
- Small soil particles can be washed off with water. Healthy roots will be firm, firm and have a uniform surface. Young shoots are lighter; when immersed in water, they will acquire a greenish tint. Older processes are gray or brownish in color. Damaged roots that stop feeding the leaf outlet become soft and moist to the touch.
- Damaged and problem areas are cut off, after which the cut points must be treated with crushed activated carbon or ground cinnamon, which is also a natural antiseptic.
- After drying, it is useful to lower the roots for 10-15 minutes in a fungicide solution. This helps reduce the risk of contracting the fungus.
If there is mold on the roots, it is necessary to treat them with a solution of potassium permanganate.
Is it possible to save a sluggish and damaged flower: recovery methods
How to help grow with a greenhouse?
In the presence of a window greenhouse, in which it is possible to maintain an optimal temperature and humidity level, there is a high chance of reviving the plant. To do this, you need to do the following:
- line the bottom of the greenhouse with expanded clay;
- lay steamed sphagnum moss on it;
- a leaf rosette is placed in the ground.
To grow roots up to 4-5 centimeters, it is necessary to maintain humidity in the greenhouse, at least 75-95% and a temperature within + 23 ° С, + 27 ° С. The plant should be well lit for at least 12-14 hours a day. If all conditions are met, the chances of recovery are at least 80%.
During maintenance, the greenhouse must be ventilated at night and watered as the substrate dries. If there is no greenhouse, then you can use the tools at hand, for example:
- trimming large bottles;
- confectionery boxes.
The main thing is to create a microclimate inside it in which the plant will recover and develop faster.
How to grow without a greenhouse?
For this, special preparations are used as bait, which give the plant the necessary amount of nutrients due to the absorption capacity of the leaves. The soil is slightly moistened before planting.
In order not to damage the plant, the procedure is best carried out in the morning or in the evening to exclude exposure to sunlight and not cause a chemical burn to the plant. It is necessary to exclude the ingress of bait on the buds and flowers.
How to grow by planting in a substrate?
A substrate is a mixture of various components that is necessary to create a flower a comfortable living environment that is as close to natural as possible. Orchids usually grow in trees, absorbing moisture and nutrients from the bark. Therefore, it is necessary to make a mixture that will be lightweight, environmentally friendly and have good drainage characteristics that cannot be obtained in ordinary soil.
The following components are used to prepare the mixture:
- tree bark;
- sphagnum moss;
- fern roots.
These components are basic and, if necessary, can be supplemented:
- coconut fiber;
- dry leaves;
In some cases, expanded clay is added for better drainage characteristics.
The flower is carefully cleaned of damaged and rotten roots and planted in a prepared pot. After that, you need to carefully monitor the moisture level of the substrate so that it is constantly slightly moistened. You do not need to water the plant regularly so that the water does not stagnate at the bottom of the pot, otherwise the decay process will resume.
The temperature in the room with the plant should be between 23-25 degrees. If the temperature drops below 20 ° C, then the growth of roots will slow down, and the process of reproduction of microbes and bacteria will noticeably accelerate.
How to put into water to form a root system?
How to grow roots in water:
- If the plant is devoid of roots, then to build new organs, some growers recommend placing it in a container with water. In practice, it is not always possible to save a plant with a severely damaged root system, therefore, for a greater supply of nutrients, it is recommended to add a teaspoon of sugar syrup or liquid honey per liter of liquid.
- Another way how to root:
- place the plant above water;
- all rot is thoroughly cleaned, the cut site is treated with activated or charcoal, and left to dry for 8-10 hours in a well-lit room, but without direct exposure to sunlight;
- after which the plant is placed in a glass vessel filled with filtered or boiled water in such a way that the neck does not touch the water, but is at a distance of 2-3 centimeters from it.
During resuscitation, you need to be prepared for the fact that the plant will lose most of the turgor, but this is normal, since this is necessary to compensate for the distribution of nutrients and restore the root mass.
From the video you will learn how to reanimate an orchid without roots in water:
How to stimulate the growth of organs in a child?
How to grow roots in a baby:
- We prepare an aqueous solution with a growth stimulant, where we place the plant cleaned from the old substrate and rot.
- Dissolve a tablet of activated or charcoal in a bowl with boiled water, heated to 23-25 ° C.
- We place the orchid in the basin, where further restoration of the root system will take place.
All this time, it is necessary to maintain good air circulation and high humidity in the room. If a certain amount of water has evaporated from the container, then it is necessary to top it up to a sufficient level. Only preheated water should be added so that there is no temperature difference.
In order for the plant to recover and continue its normal development, follow-up care is needed. For this, normal lighting is maintained for 12-14 hours a day. The temperature regime should be between 22-26 degrees Celsius. To determine the moisture content, it is better to use a special device, since orchids are quite sensitive to moisture, they do not like drying out of the substrate, as well as strong moisture.
When to wait for the first roots to appear?
If the recovery process goes well, then after 2 months the roots of the plant can grow up to 6-7 centimeters. Only then can the plant be transplanted into the substrate.
In what cases is it no longer possible to save?
It will not be possible to save a damaged plant if not only the root system is damaged, but also the stem of the plant. Careful and constant care will also be required, otherwise the recovery process will slow down and the plant will die.
It should be remembered that damage to the roots of an orchid is a fairly common phenomenon. This is a problem for beginners who violate the rules of plant care, or the consequences of a violation of regular care. The main thing is to detect the problem in a timely manner and choose the most appropriate way to resuscitate the orchid so that sluggish leaves and damaged roots are forever a thing of the past.